from The History of the Borough of Newport by Haydn
Davis, 1998, ISBN 0 9531780 0 5
On sale in Newport Museum Shop, John Frost Square
In 1934 "a private company acquired land part of Bulmore Farm
Caerleon, on which to build an open air swimming pool, cafe and
restaurant. Bulmore Lido as it became well known, opened to members
of the public in July and they flocked there in hundreds on clement
days, travelling by specially timed omnibuses, on foot and by bicycle
(motor cars were then very thin on the ground as family transport).
Situated alongside the River Usk, the 8.5 acre complex comprising
large adult pool and smaller children's pool with adjoining lawns,
became Newport's favourite out-of-town resort, gradually relieving
St Brides Lighthouse foreshore of its dubious hold on this honour.
Bulmore's popularity held in varying degrees for the next 55 years
until its waning fortunes finally fell victim to the changing tastes
of a much more affluent, adventurous and wide-ranging society.
A few weeks
after the opening of Bulmore Lido, another open air swimming pool
made its debut, but although it too could he described as having
similar rural aspect, it could almost he said to he within the
town. Situated on the side of a wooded slope in the grounds of
Alltyryn House, it was approached down a long winding path from
the junction of Barrack Hill and Alltyryn View. The entrance gate
was not far from the Barrack Hill omnibus terminus.
measuring 100 feet by 35 feet was placed in a dingle where the
house's original spring and ornamental pools had been situated,
and well may be remembered for having a very uneven (if not rocky)
bottom. Fine weather at Alltyryn always seemed to bring out a
permanent population of biting midges. The Lido did not survive
the 1960s and is now part of Newport Borough Council's Alltyryn
Wildlife Nature Footpath."