1926 - 2006
A Brief History
by Norman Stevens
early years of the 1900s the area of land on and adjacent to the
garage was worked as a smallholding by a Mr Arnold who lived at
the nearby Bridge House. He sold produce in a small shed type
structure known by the name "Arnold Florist and Fruiterer."
In 1926 Mr
Reuben Bennett bought a portion of this land and utilised the
shed of the previous owner. Mr Bennett, a trained plumber, started
an engineering and house servicing business. Within two years
his business had evolved and had become an established garage
for servicing and repairs of both motorcycles and motorcars along
with petrol and oil sales.
son, Gordon, took over the business in 1948. In 1953 he built
the bungalow, St Christopher's, that we see near the garage today
and in 1955 demolished the remainder of the original buildings.
In doing this he created the basis of the layout we are so familiar
the family business until his retirement in 1963, which marked
the end of 37 years of business in the Bennett family.
At this point
Reg and Joyce Richards took over the garage. Until then Reg had
been running an agricultural engineering works in Gas Work Lane
(now Yew Tree Lane) where he had been servicing and maintaining
the first combined harvesters in the county. In 1998 Reg sadly
passed away and Joyce continued running the business whilst also
bringing up her three young children. Last year in 2005, after
42 years of service, a decision was made to retire.