WAS IT BUILT?
Records show it was completed by 1795 - in fact its builder sold
a half share in it on Jan 7th 1795, so it was probably
finished in 1794.
WHO BUILT IT?
Nicholas Blannin. A section of the Monmouthshire Canal Act of 1792
stated that anybody with works, quarries or mines within eight miles
of the (then) proposed canal could ask for a 'Railway' or
'Wagon Road' to be built by the Canal company to link their
business with the canal. If after three months the canal company
had not agreed the applicant would have the lawful right to build
it himself, at his own cost, "without the Consent of the Owner
or Owners of such Lands or Grounds, River Banks or Water Courses"
it should cross.
In 1793, Nicholas Blannin was rentor of the Caerleon
Iron Forge and Stone Quarries. On the 21st of October
1793 he requested that the Canal Company should build a railway
from a piece of land called Clomendy, on the Monmouthshire Canal,
to his works. When they did not agree to do this he built it himself
as the act entitled him to do. However, he did not stop at the Caerleon
works, but continued the railroad down to the river in Caerleon
where he built a wharf, quay and other works.